UK Ancestry Visa
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
- are a Commonwealth citizen
- are applying from outside the UK
- are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- are able and planning to work in the UK
You should get a decision within 3 weeks of submitting
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
You can apply to extend your visa.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently.
What you can and can’t do.
- bring family members
If you in the UK with this visa you can’t switch to any other visa.
You must prove that you:
- are 17 or over
- have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependants if you are bringing family with you as your dependent
- can and plan to work in the UK
You can’t claim UK ancestry through step-parents or great grandparents.